Mon 10 Jan, 2011
Tonight is my first official City Council Meeting. Here are some items that I have noted, so far, from tonight’s packet:
1. The location is at Murzyn Hall, Senior Room, 530 Mill Street. This is across the street from the City Hall. It has been moved because of a broken water main at city hall.
2. Pastor Paul Widen will be doing the invocation at tonight’s meeting. Thank you to Pastor Paul, Oak Hill & The Point gang for their prayers and support!
3. Approve appointment to the Traffic Commission – Leonard Olson. I am concerned that we are setting a precedent if we appoint someone to a possible life position without any interview. I am sure he is fine it is just that this is a potential position for life. The other concern is that this position has been open since May. The opening on the commission was posted in June. Mr. Olson’s application was received in July and it isn’t until January 2011 that this is addressed? Maybe this is why we have a hard time getting people to join commissions because we move so slowly on appointments.
4. Ordinance 1587 – I think it is unusual that the first reading of this ordinance is being considered under the consent agenda, rather than under items for consideration. This may be fine but I would like to have more details on this item.
5. Ordinance 1588 and 1589 – I would like to delay the 1st reading of these two ordinances for an amendment to the fence and driveway ordinance. There was no work session this month so no background information was given to the council on these ordinances. One of these did not pass unanimously at the P & Z level and they were voting with only 3 members present. Since this was not televised, the minutes were not available until the packet was delivered Friday night. These ordinances are not an ‘emergency’ so it would not hurt to delay the first official readings on these ordinances. Discussion would be good just to get more information about these ordinances but I would like to see the actual reading delayed and these tabled until next meeting.
6. Appoint Council President – I haven’t heard who actually wants this position so I don’t know which members are going to be putting their names in for this position. I have no desire for this seat and I don’t think it would be appropriate for someone new to the council to take this position.
7. Council Commission Liaison positions: Out of 15 Commissions and Boards listed, I have only been listed as the Liaison to the Traffic Commission. A lot of these are held during the day so they would be inconvenient for Tami or myself to attend these since we have daytime employments and would have to make special arrangements to attend these meetings. This will be voted on tonight so we will see what the final results will be.
8. I am still going over the detailed financial report. This is basically what checks were written since the last meeting, along with the person or company the check was written to and what it was for.
I will see you tonight!Donna Schmitt Columbia Heights City Council
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.